Lettuce Has Made Over 1,000 People Sick This Decade
U.S. · SCIENCE
January 11, 20204 min read802 words
Published: January 11, 2020  |  4 min read802 words
Our love affair with salad in the 2010s got a lot of people sick. Maybe it’s time to end our relationship with lettuce as we know it.Americans — hyper-health-conscious and profoundly gluttonous — spent the decade bingeing on salad. We ate the iceberg, the red leaf, the green leaf...
Lettuce Has Made Over 1,000 People Sick This Decade Read more

No article scores yet.

There are no critic or public scores for this article yet.
Sensational1
critic reviews: 1
public reviews: 1
No reviews
img-trusted
92%
critic score
62 reviews
img-trusted
67%
public score
72 reviews
img-contested
N/A
critic score
2 reviews
img-contested
N/A
public score
3 reviews
img-contested
N/A
critic score
2 reviews
img-contested
N/A
public score
1 reviews

CRITIC REVIEWS

Sensational
January 16, 2020
A good example of sensationalist reporting. The article is well-sourced, however, and without commenting specifically on the thrust of the argument being made, the Authors do, intentionally or otherwise, commit the sin (venial, as it were) of drawing a very specific conclusion not readily supported by the cited data. Additionally, and particularly cringeworthy, are the terribly opinionated snark combined with sad attempts at humorous interjection. These included no doubt, considering the publishing outlet, to liven things up a bit for the reader. Unfortunately, all the aforementioned combine to produce...well, rubbish. Notably, two reporters are credited with this dross. Not a worthwhile read by any stretch of the imagination.
January 16, 2020
Is this helpful?

PUBLIC REVIEWS

False Dilemma
January 12, 2020
This article is purely designed to create fear, why I don’t really know, maybe the author hates lettuce. What’s frustrating is there are real questions about how agriculture is affecting the environment and how we can better grow our food to prevent disease. But to put this issue into perspective, let’s say double the number of reported people actually got sick this decade from raw lettuce and make that 2000 people. As of 2018 the US population estimate was 327,167,434, let’s say only 1/10 of those people ate raw lettuce during the decade, 0.006% of those people got sick. There’s an estimated 265,000 toxic e. Coli infections EACH YEAR (https://www.cnn.com/2013/06/28/health/e-coli-outbreaks-fast-facts/index.html ) so less than 0.05% are from lettuce, talk about the other 99.95% or the whole issue please.
January 12, 2020
Is this helpful?